Wednesday, April 30, 2008

CeStyle aka Corey Drumz meets the critics on The Rap Chamber and Soundclick.com

Author by Anonymous

Music Site Address: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/cestyleakacoreydrumzmusic.htm



Album Reveiw: "Amnesia"



Straight out the slums of Hollis Queens arrives hip-hop's best kept secret, CeStyle aka Corey Drumz, destined to refresh your memory with the release of his underground debut album "Amnesia".



Growing up in a neighborhood known for it's growth of many legendary emcees has clearly affected CeStyle, and after years of underground hype the streets are now calling for him.



The title track "Amnesia" is a hardcore, orchestrated beat laced with an excellent flow. "You must've forgot/I'm the one that kept the Lyricist Lounge hot" he spits triumphantly. CeStyle also brings emotion back to the table with cuts like the sorrowful "All I Have", a dedication to all his homies. Over a sweetly laced piano beat, CeStyle spits: "All my life, it's me and my...".



While "F... All Y'all" is a slap at the haters, and "Ghetto Love" is an excellent tribute to the ladies, it is the incredible "Where I'm From" which is bound to wake up industry mogules. With an exceptional flow, CeStyle gives listeners a detailed insight to his 'hood, what it is and what it was.



Overall, Amnesia is CeStyle's calling. Hip-hop is in need of someone who can represent the streets right, and who can bring raw hip-hop back to the table. Growing up in Hollis, CeStyle has seen many come and go before him, and has a history of hip-hop running through his blood. With infallible lyrics and undoubtable skills as a producer, CeStyle will break boundaries in the near future, refreshing our memory of who kept Hollis Queens real back in the day.



Read this reveiw on therapchamber.com



_______________________________________



Song Reveiw: "Daswassup"



One of the things that has constantly ticked me off about Soundclick.com is the amount of foul-mouthed, arrogant 'dogs' who think that peppering speech with profanities is somehow 'cool' and will get them the attention they so rightly deserve.



It was extremely offputting for me - as a relative newbie to SC - to make my way past the fairground procession to what really went on in here. Not that I fecking have anything against fecking swearing, I am fluent in the language myself and practice it constantly. However, I hope that I use it more constructively than some. I am also, as many will testify, an avid believer in rap in all its many shades of being from the pretty pretty to the oh-my-god-close-your-eyes-Doris varieties.



The whole field is alive, spitting blood and generally having a whale of a time, which is why we are up to our knackers in the world rap's wannabees - those of the aforemntioned foul fecking mouths.



See its all very well to talk the talk but hardly any of these people have delivered ANYTHING like the power I look for in the genre; the power shown by some of the greats in the field. Out of the hundreds of tracks I have heard in the genre on the internet, I have found very few really authentic rap tracks.



For me ya see, the trick of the genre is to convince. When someone is bellowing down your ear about being a mean, a** chomping, gun wielding muthaf**** you gotta believe that to really gain the full effect. The very best of 'bad boy' rap is intimidating to the max, because that is exactly how the artists intends it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes that's down to individual personal preference.



I can hear rap tracks for example, where I find the lyrics so disgusting, but find myself grooving away to the track like nobody's business. So sometimes its the music that gets me, sometimes its the message. Its very rarely both because they are the kind of tracks that make it in the real world.



But for its content, very saucy, EXTREMELY EXPLICIT, Daswassup cuts a very decent musical figure behind the vocal. I'm not a great fan of the many-voice rap track and I'm not sure this works in the intro in this track too, but once again, that's a personal preference.



Overall, I must say I came away from this track impressed. The music and arrangement is solid, tight and the lyrics are just LOL funny, especially if you like to be precise about the things you rap about and this rapper is EXACTING in his preciseness.



In its way, music and vocal share that precision which is what elevates this track from the ho-hum to the very-interesting doctor category. Listen, any track that features the line 'can you make the puddycat dance and sing' and make it relevant is fine by my books. Whatever I say, its inescapable that lyrically this is a very raw track, which many people may/will find offensive. So if you get offended by the more extreme sexual material evident in this track, don't say I didn't warn you. If however you can get past that, this is a very good, very authentic sounding track that has power aplenty.

Ironic then, that it should come from one of the refugees from MP3.com? I don't care, I'm bagging it for my playlist anyhoo....



Steve Gilmore, Critics Corner,

reveiw at soundclick.

_______________________________________



Song Reveiw: "F...All Yall"



Digging on the samples and the hot blend that ensues. Sounding different and original, out the box unique and possibly and potentially throwin' and showin' a new direction in a genre that desperately needs a solid steel toe up the a** to rescue it from the dated Badboys of the 90's. Best new hip hop I've heard in ages, hands down!

Straight to my favorites.



DC

swrecords.net

Doug Cash SWRecords/Critics Corner

reveiw at soundclick.

_______________________________________



Listen to CeStyle's album yourself at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/cestyleakacoreydrumzmusic.htm

or

www.soundclick.com/cestyleakacoreydrumz

and

http://www.funender.com/music/bands/581/music.php

No comments: